Saturday, June 28, 2014

As this week draws to a close, I wanted to update you on what has happened over the past few days. I am so thankful that God has allowed my family to come out here and am excited about our future ministry opportunities in the Salt Lake Valley.

To begin with, we spent some time understanding the local context here. So we visited downtown Salt Lake City, including the LDS Temple Square. We were led around by two Mormon missionary women, who explained more about their beliefs and the purpose of their temples. This was very helpful and led to my family having some fruitful discussion afterward.

We also visited the This Is The Place Heritage Park. In this park, they have a monument where the second prophet of the LDS Church, Brigham Young, supposedly decided that the Mormon people would settle in the Salt Lake Valley. Here we learned more about the trek of many Mormons who traveled across the country largely by foot with handcarts to the valley. I think that knowing the history of Utah is critical to understanding the state today.

But the time that I most enjoyed with my family was when we went up to a high point behind the state capitol building and looked across the valley. We were moved by what we saw and prayed for the gospel of Jesus Christ to permeate the Salt Lake Valley. My son even set up a small cross made from stones and asked if we could come back every year to pray. May it be so!

At the same time, my evenings were given over to street evangelism. One evening my family went with me, seeing thousands of those who are without true hope of Jesus Christ. The other two nights, I went with others who were out evangelizing as well. In God's kind providence, I was blessed to spend a few hours with one missional couple who have a heart for church planting here. We had a great time discussing many different aspects of church planting, and I learned a lot from them as I consider the next steps for our ministry. Thank you Randy and Carol!

Evangelizing in the streets started slowly, mainly handing out gospel tracts because of the weather. But God showed up in an amazing way last night and tonight. The weather was wonderful, and I was able to have several serious gospel conversations with over a dozen people. While none of them have yet received Christ by faith, I was able to clearly proclaim the gospel and they promised to pray about what I shared. I believe that a number of them are seriously considering the gospel and will read the tracts that I gave them which will also direct them to Christ. Please join me in prayer for all of those who heard the gospel from me and many other faithful men and women here.

I thank God for all that He has done over the last several days! And I am looking forward to tomorrow, where we will gather together on the Lord's Day with my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ to worship our Savior. May His praise ring loudly throughout Utah!

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment