Sunday, June 1, 2014

The month of May proved to be a very fruitful month as I seek to love and serve my neighbors. I thank God for the blessings which have taken place and am excited to see what He will do in the future! Let me share a little about what has happened.

First, the warming weather has allowed my community group to begin meeting at a local park in our neighborhood. We enjoy a meal together along with a time of fellowship, pray for one another and encourage one another, and plan how we can reach our neighborhood with the gospel. By gathering together at the park, we do all of this in the midst of people who need the hope of Christ. Hundreds of people are around us, and I appreciate the continual reminder of so many who are lost apart from our Savior. Meeting in this public place helps to fuel our prayers and gives us an urgency to our efforts.

Second, I decided to go to a meeting of our community's neighborhood alliance. While I initially had reservations about going, I cannot believe the opportunity that is available for my family and others in our community group. It seems as if I will be able to help lead efforts to bring our neighborhood together through local events, and I am already building relationships with several of those involved with our neighborhood alliance.

Third, I have continued to get to know more of my neighbors. With my daughters making various treats, they have gone with me to drop by our neighbors' homes with some desserts and briefly introduce ourselves. We have really enjoyed the times in which we have been able to meet others, and I look forward to meeting many more in the months ahead. One of the most enjoyable opportunities we had this past month was with a recently retired man who had come to the neighborhood alliance meeting for the first time. My oldest daughter and I went over to his house with some treats, and he invited us to his back porch for a leisurely afternoon. I seem to have a lot in common with him, and I hope that our relationship will continue in the months ahead.

Fourth, I am leading our community group to begin working toward having events in our neighborhood so that we can all build relationships with those who are living around us. We have already become more intentional in building bridges to our neighbors, and I am thankful for God's help in our efforts. I am convinced that as we genuinely love and serve them, God will provide us with opportunities to give a reason for the hope that is in us.

Finally, my family has been moving forward with plans to go to Utah later this month. We have several goals while there: 1) to engage in evangelistic ministry, 2) to meet with others committed to and engaged in church planting so that we can have a better understanding of ministry in their local context as well as develop key relationships, and 3) to strategize our next steps in moving toward church planting efforts in Utah. While this is a lot to do in a week and a half, our prayer is that God will guide our time there for His purposes and glory.

As you can tell, we still need your prayers! Satan will oppose us as we try to proclaim the good news of Jesus Christ. And only through serving Him in the strength of the Holy Spirit will any lasting fruit be produced. So please pray for us as we seek to love and serve our neighbors. And pray for God to guide my family with wisdom as we make an important trip to Utah soon. May our lives be spent for the glory of His name!

Tagged:

0 comments:

Post a Comment